Tuesday, October 22, 2019

Math Action Thursday: Multiplication

Multiplication is i of my favorite things to teach, then hither it is for MaTh activeness Thursday!

When I mean value of multiplication, I mean value 'shortcut'.  After all, if yous sympathize the concept of multiplication it is non only memorizing, it's remembering patterns too tricks to live on able to create a math work quicker.  Take a await at a bunch of cereal pieces.  This is the multi-grain form too I establish 3 dissimilar colors.  There are five pieces inwards each group.
If the kid knows how to skip count yous tin forcefulness out figure out the full that way, 5, 10, 15.  Or yous tin forcefulness out ready it upward every bit an array...
3x5 too nosotros know that it is xv too.

I know it is really of import for kids to sympathize that they are non only memorizing numbers, but that at that spot is a organization too reasoning for the necessitate to know the numbers quickly.

When children cash inwards one's chips into multiplying larger numbers, such every bit 219 x 24 they volition live on taught the regular method of lining them up...
but create they also sympathize the expanded shape agency of doing it?  I don't recall what this method is called, but if yous do--please remind me.
I'd honey to remove heed how yous learn multiplication!  Have a slap-up weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment