Tuesday, October 22, 2019

Place Value: Math Activeness For Sec Grade

I'll acknowledge it--I beloved to learn house value.  Why?  I don't know...  Maybe because I similar organizing things into groups (give me a messy drawer together with I'll convey fun making it hold back great).  Anyway, I convey made quite a few posts amongst house value already, simply thought I would practise to a greater extent than or less other i since it is a concept that kids actually necessitate to sympathize well.  I'm non certain if you lot tin transportation away over-teach house value.  What practise you lot think?

So, hither it is for Math activeness Thursday--2nd Grade


To aid sympathize that a ii digit unwrap consists of a grouping or groups of tens, summation the singles, my house value cards amongst oranges actually comes inwards handy...
Although if you lot choice other objects to purpose similar paperclips or cereal that's okay too.  In instant bird most children are learning nigh iii digit places (typically ones, tens, together with hundreds).  I intend it is a skillful thought for them to know typical coin house value equally good (hundredths, tenths, ones) together with then you lot would purpose pennies, dimes, together with dollars.

One activeness you lot tin transportation away practise amongst your students is to play a game called "What makes a Hundred"

Kids are inwards small-scale groups--such equally a math center.
H5N1 carte du jour is picked.  (Let's tell 43)
Use a xxx instant timer together with convey them commencement it.
The students purpose white boards or newspaper to figure out how much they necessitate to brand a hundred. (43 + __ = 100)

After the xxx seconds are upwardly everyone amongst the right unwrap gets a point.

They could play for a specific sum of fourth dimension or play until soul gets 10 points (or to a greater extent than or less other predetermined unwrap of points).

What math activities convey you lot been doing inwards your classroom?  You tin transportation away part link your weblog posts below.

No comments:

Post a Comment