Thursday, January 18, 2001

Gem Awards 2019

Last calendar week it was resourceaholic.com's 5th birthday! It's larn a tradition for me to grade the anniversary of my weblog past times publishing an annual 'Gem Awards' post. Here I await dorsum at all the ideas I've shared inwards my gems posts over the end yr in addition to pick out some of my favourites. Each category has a winner in addition to a exceptional mention.

1. Best GCSE Support
This accolade goes to the website Gems 89. This gratis site made past times maths teachers has over 200 lessons matched to the GCSE specification, each amongst examples, do exercises, misconceptions, in addition to exam-style problems. I blogged nearly it i time to a greater extent than inwards Gems 103 when I discovered that a issue of lessons comprise examples in addition to non-examples.

I honey this website because it ridiculously slowly to occupation (no login is required in addition to you lot tin forcefulness out navigate inwards seconds using the search tool) in addition to covers the entire secondary maths curriculum. I occupation this website quite oftentimes - I borrow bits in addition to pieces from lessons to include inwards mine.
Special advert to David Morse who won the 'Best New GCSE Resources' Gem Award end year. He continues to hit high character resources in addition to has lately re-launched his website, every bit featured inwards Gems 106.

2. Best New Blog
This accolade goes to maths instructor Mr Rowlandson (Best New Online Tool, they've added to a greater extent than interactive resources to aid teachers amongst their explanations. Recent additions include tools in addition to slides for plans in addition to elevationscontainer filling, pie charts in addition to 3D Pythagoras. I uncovering these actually helpful. As I've said many times before, if you lot convey the budget hence MathsPad is good worth subscribing to.
Special advert to BossMaths (@boss_maths) for the ready-to-use Geogebra resources which are built into a issue of their lessons. When I tweeted nearly numberless protractors, Sudeep from BossMaths replied lead away amongst a handy numberless protractor applet that he made using Geogebra.

7. Best New Website
This accolade goes to Jonathan Hall for the website Gems 95. There are 4 sections on this website: Compare, Odd One Out, Frayer Model in addition to Multiple Choice Quiz.
Like Jonathan's other websites, it's really slowly to use. For instance when I was explaining outside angles to my students, I showed them this:
Special advert to Craig Barton's website Gems 104:
This was shared past times a colleague of Tom Bennison (@DrBennison) in addition to prettified past times puzzle original Ed Southall (@solvemymaths). Given it's a square, uncovering the marked angle. I actually similar this - it doesn't involve whatsoever cognition beyond top dog schoolhouse angle facts only it's actually satisfying to solve. 

9. Mathematics Award
This accolade goes to Nicholas Rougeux's (Gems 101 for to a greater extent than on this.
Special advert to Mathigon, which won my 2015 Gem Award for Best Website. The novel content on this site is brilliant, including the interactive Gems 106 for to a greater extent than on Mathigon.

10. Lifetime Achievement Award
My previous lifetime achievement awards convey gone to Don Steward, John Corbett in addition to Jonathan Hall. This yr my lifetime achievement accolade goes to the wonderfully talented Chris Smith (@aap03102).

Chris teaches maths at Grange Academy inwards Kilmarnock in addition to contributes absolutely tonnes to the global maths teaching community. His weekly maths newsletter goes to or hence 3000 subscribers in addition to is guaranteed to cheer upward my Fridays. His resources are bright in addition to his jokes are terrible. Chris won Scottish Teacher of the Year 2018 which was really good deserved. Chris has a pivotal purpose Maths Week Scotland, runs an annual maths military camp for his students, does crazy things on Pi Day, in addition to lots more.

If you lot haven't listened to Chris existence interviewed past times Craig Barton on the podcast hence you lot must - he is hence incredibly positive in addition to passionate, it actually makes you lot recollect in addition to appreciate the joy of maths teaching. Chris is also an inspirational populace speaker in addition to I really much promise to run across him utter inwards both Scotland in addition to England inwards the close future.
As good every bit existence total of bright ideas, Chris is a wonderfully sort in addition to generous person. He is an inspirational instructor in addition to he makes a massive contribution to the maths community. No uncertainty he volition hold to do hence for years to come. On behalf of all maths teachers I'd similar to give thank you lot Chris for everything he does. What a superstar. 

********

There are many people who I've non mentioned hither who convey helped to fill upward my gems posts amongst resources in addition to ideas over the past times year. Thank you lot to all of them for their ongoing contribution to maths education. I actually appreciate the lengths people perish to percentage their move every bit widely every bit possible hence that nosotros all benefit. I've been on Twitter for 5 years right away in addition to hold to experience privileged to hold upward business office of such a welcoming in addition to generous community. Thank you lot also to the people who convey encouraged in addition to supported me over the end yr - it's been actually tough at times, only there's been lots of highlights (LateMaths, Humble Pi in addition to Big MathsJam to scream only a few).


If you're novel to my weblog in addition to you lot enjoyed this postal service hence see my Gem Awards 2018Gem Awards 2017, Gem Awards 2016 in addition to Gem Awards 2015 to run across who has won awards previously.


Happy 5th birthday resourceaholic.com. Thank you lot to my readers for all the support!





No comments:

Post a Comment