Wednesday, January 3, 2001

Easter Awesomeness For Maths Teachers

A brace of years agone I went to BCME for the showtime time. I loved it! Having been a regular Saturday-maths-conference-goer for a few years, it was my showtime large residential maths conference. It was a totally dissimilar experience to ane twenty-four hours events. I enjoyed the social materials (we won the quiz! I may receive got mentioned that a few times...) in addition to I also liked the pace. One twenty-four hours conferences tin hold upwards intense - I experience similar I rush unopen to all twenty-four hours - whereas at residential conferences everything has to a greater extent than time. I loved BCME so much that the next yr I braved going to the ATM/MA Easter conference on my own. It turned out to hold upwards brilliant. It actually gave me a lot to intend close in addition to in all probability had a bigger affect on my teaching than whatever number I'd attended previously.

Quizzing at the ATM/MA conference 2019

I noticed that at that topographic point were a large number of trainee teachers at the ATM/MA conference this Easter. I was hugely impressed past times their enthusiasm. There they all were, embracing their novel career in addition to having a thoroughly skillful fourth dimension surrounded past times mathematics. When I was grooming I had no thought these things fifty-fifty existed.

For decades the MA in addition to ATM Easter conferences were the biggest events inwards maths education. Everyone went. Maths teachers flew inwards from all over the world. These days lots of teachers can't attend the Easter conferences because a) it's also expensive in addition to b) they don't similar losing almost a calendar week of their Easter holidays. I receive got immature children myself in addition to totally empathize alongside these reservations. Both times I've attended conferences inwards the Easter holidays I receive got been lucky plenty to hold upwards awarded a bursary to help alongside the cost, addition my hubby has taken annual move out to pass fourth dimension alongside my daughters.

This yr the MA has decided to accept an innovative approach to laissez passer the conference wider appeal. For every bit long every bit anyone tin recall the MA Conference has run over iv days. This yr it's shorter in addition to cheaper in addition to - hopefully - accessible to all. It's also at a beautiful spa hotel (Wyboston Lakes inwards Bedfordshire), which is a bonus.

So this is how it looks:

Day 1: Tuesday 14th April
The conference starts at lunchtime on Tuesday. There's a keynote from MA President Ems Lord followed past times a linked workshop, in addition to and then a practical session run past times the Nrich team. At the 2019 conference the Nrich workshop was ane of my favourites so this is guaranteed to all hold upwards brilliant. In the even out there'll hold upwards a quiz (yay!).

Day 2: Wed 15th April
This twenty-four hours volition hold upwards jam-packed alongside xl sessions run past times amazing speakers, addition a keynote from the ane in addition to solely Chris Smith (I am so excited close this!).  Workshops volition hold upwards inwards iv strands (Primary, Secondary, Post-16/Community in addition to General). In each of the 5 sessions you lot tin conduct ane of 8 workshops - so there's plenty for everyone. The twenty-four hours ends alongside a Maths Jam in addition to a BBQ.

Day 3: Th 16th April

The twenty-four hours starts alongside a keynote from me, followed past times a keynote past times Craig Barton. If you lot were at Craig's keynote at the MEI Conference in addition to then I'm certain you'll concur that it volition hold upwards worth staying for! Then everyone goes domicile at lunch.

You tin download the sum programme here.

Costs
If you're non a fellow member of the MA in addition to then join now (from solely £2.50 per month) to salve lots of coin on conference rates.

To attend the whole conference from Tuesday luncheon to Th lunch, including hotel room in addition to food, it's solely £299. But you lot receive got to mass past times 31st Dec to larn it this cheap. If you've never been to a residential conference earlier in addition to then now's the fourth dimension to endeavour it!

If you're an NQT or a trainee instructor in addition to then you lot tin larn to the whole conference from merely £229, which is insanely inexpensive when you lot consider what it includes inwards damage of food, accommodation in addition to move past times character CPD.

Also, if household unit of measurement commitments hateful you lot can't produce a residential so you lot solely desire to come upwards to the middle Wed (five workshops addition Chris Smith's keynote addition lunch) in addition to then it's solely £99. That's peachy value for so much CPD.

Finally - if you're a fellow member of the MA in addition to you've never been to the MA's annual conference earlier in addition to then you lot tin apply for a bursary which volition embrace the entire toll of the conference! Go on, apply - you lot mightiness larn lucky. Details of this bursary are here.

Get your asking into your schoolhouse now! I hold off forrard to seeing you lot there.




No comments:

Post a Comment