Friday, January 26, 2001

5 Maths Gems #104

Welcome to my 104th gems post. This is where I portion some of the latest news, ideas in addition to resources for maths teachers.

1. Don Steward
Hurrah for the render of Don Steward!

He has been busy publishing loads of novel resources on his ratio, vectors in addition to linear graphs. I can't continue upward alongside it all.
Extract from GCSE business questions

His novel resources include a issue of unlike ratio alongside algebra questions. Thank you lot Don!
Extract from Best Buys
2. Starters
Thanks to Danielle Moosajee (@PixiMaths) for sharing a huge collection of free starter questions. She has created a mixed theme starter for every lesson of the year. They are grouped past times target grade, alongside packs for grades v in addition to nine created so far. This mightiness live a fourth dimension saver for lots of teachers.
3. Structured Recall
For years I lead maintain made practiced purpose of Susan Whitehouse's topic summary resources at Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 level. They move actually good every bit a revision activeness - students lead maintain to explicate a method in addition to consummate an instance for the diverse skills inside topic.  Here's what it looks similar for linear graphs.
I similar these so much that a duet of years agone I tried to brand a ready of them for GCSE inward the same format (ie 1 column for the method inward the student's ain words, 1 column for an instance question) but I didn't lead maintain fourth dimension to consummate them. So I lead maintain a folder of unfinished attempts.

I was reminded close these sheets when I saw Miss Walker (@MsWalkerMaths) tweeting close a similar thought that's she has been trying alongside her students. This is slightly unlike to the theme summaries though, because the questions are intentionally less specific (including prompts such every bit 'Tell me close parallel lines').


She also shared some slap-up examples of her students' work.

4. Interhouse Competitions
I lead maintain written earlier close national maths competitions which commonly involve taking students out of school. Gemma Elizabeth‏ (@gemma_harney) late tweeted to inquire close ideas for interhouse maths competitions that could live run inside a school. Some slap-up ideas were shared so do read the thread.

Coincidentally I was doing my regular batch of TES reviews a duet of weeks afterwards in addition to institute a ready of resources that could live used for a monthly maths challenge in schools. Thanks to beedup on TES for sharing a overnice unproblematic format. The thought is that students who desire to lead maintain business office lead 1 of 2 challenges in addition to and so lead maintain to solve the occupation in addition to explicate their thinking. The prize goes to the entry alongside the best explanation. Using Nrich problems or similar it would live pretty quick to do a ready of these so the contest could run every calendar month all twelvemonth round.
5. Hook, Line in addition to Sinker
John Rowe (@MrJohnRowe) has published a actually lovely eBook for maths teachers. You tin read close it in addition to download the volume here.
John says, "I wrote this volume to help Maths teachers who only don’t lead maintain fourth dimension to navigate the thousands of resources available online. This isn’t tailored to a specific country’s standards/ curriculum outcomes, rather a collection of mathematics resources sequenced inward a means that I would in all probability do it every bit a teacher".

In his volume John provides an instance sequence of the resources he would purpose inward the didactics of trigonometry in addition to Pythagoras, algebra, indices, quadratics in addition to probability. It's slap-up - do lead maintain a read!

Update
I lead maintain 2 large things going on at the moment… My GCSE revision volume went on sale in addition to nosotros had loads of mass orders from schools wanting their students to lead maintain these dwelling solid over Easter. Read close it here. Around the same time, Matt Parker asked me to host his volume launch. All 180 tickets sold out inward alone 2 days, which was insane. I’m instantly busy making all the concluding arrangements for the maths trial of the year. If you're coming, banking concern jibe the website for updates.

In other news, I led 2 large conferences lastly week, making it my busiest calendar week of all time! The get-go was a DfE conference inward Northampton where I presented on 'Countdown to GCSE'. For those of you lot who asked for a re-create of my presentation, you lot tin download it here. During the TeachMeet I also shared a brusk presentation close animations - those slides are here.
200 main in addition to secondary teachers enjoying
Andrew Jeffrey's keynote at #teachmathsnorthants

Two days afterwards was a Harris inset hateful solar daytime - I was responsible for organising in addition to hosting the KS3/4 maths strand for close 180 teachers. As business office of that I ran 2 topics inward depth sessions. I am so pleased it's one-half term instantly because it was an exhausting week! Great fun though.
I late appeared on the podcast Relatively Prime where I was total of enthusiasm in addition to optimism, but a few days afterwards got actually upset past times the means a pupil spoke to me at school, which made me uncharacteristically miserable. The contrast betwixt the highs in addition to lows inward this career is astounding at times.

I am looking forrard to the flurry of conferences inward March. The get-go is #mathsconf18 which is inward Bristol on ninth March. I’m presenting on units in addition to I know everyone volition mean value that doesn’t audio similar an appealing session! Trust me, I lead maintain some actually cool materials to share.

Later inward the month, at #educatingnorthants, I’m presenting on methods (my absolute favourite matter to speak about). I late saw a practiced blog post from Nick Corley (@MrCorleyMath) on option methods for expanding double brackets which is worth a read.

If you're non a fellow member of a plain of written report association in addition to so do visit joining the oldest plain of written report association inward the world. The lovely people at The Mathematical Association are instantly offering membership past times monthly direct debit.
It's alone £5.20 a calendar month for secondary membership, in addition to fifty-fifty cheaper for trainees, NQTs in addition to main teachers. Join here.

I’m off on a household unit of measurement vacation to Scotland on Mon - it volition live the get-go fourth dimension my daughters become on a plane, which is really exciting. If you’re on one-half term adjacent calendar week too, enjoy!

I'll move out you lot alongside this fun angles occupation shared past times a colleague of Tom Bennison in addition to prettified past times Ed Southall. Given it's a square, abide by the marked angle. In theory, a Year vii should live able to do this one.



No comments:

Post a Comment