Wednesday, January 10, 2001

5 Maths Gems #113

Welcome to my 113th gems post. This is where I part some of the latest news, ideas as well as resources for maths teachers.

1. L Shapes
In MathsPad's July update they shared a free interactive tool for finding missing sides of L-shapes. This tin sack live used to demonstrate how the vertical lines on ane side of the shape gibe the total length on the other side as well as to assist pupils divide horizontal as well as vertical measures when finding missing lengths. There are accompanying worksheets too.


I know I've said it before, but I dearest MathsPad! It's good worth the subscription. I'll live teaching Year seven as well as 8 side yesteryear side yr as well as accept been busy working on resourcing the Scheme of Work over the lastly 2 weeks. Many of my recommended resources for each topic come upward from MathsPad.

2. Maths inward Science
Thanks to scientific discipline instructor Adam Bilton (Gems 102 to larn a improve thought of the maths content of the scientific discipline curriculum. Knowing this materials helps maths teachers piece of work improve alongside their scientific discipline subdivision inward price of consistent methods, social club of topics as well as hence on.
3. Puzzles for the Classroom
Thank yous to Sarah Carter (@mathsequalslove) for sharing Erich Friedman's website. There are loads of bully activities to explore here. Sarah has picked out a distich of examples that would piece of work good at school:

Arithmetic Sequence Puzzle
In the Arithmetic Sequence puzzle students fill upward inward some of the blank squares alongside digits 0-9. Each row as well as column should contains just three digits, as well as these digits should cast an increasing arithmetics sequence. Here's an example:

There are fifteen increasingly hard puzzles to consummate as well as solutions are provided.

Number Mazes
Here yous start alongside the issue on the left. By moving through the maze as well as doing whatever arithmetics operations on the issue that yous encounter, yous larn out the maze alongside the consequence on the right. You may move yesteryear through an performance several times, but yous tin sack non brand a U-turn. The results of all operations volition live positive whole numbers. Each maze has several solutions, but has a unique shortest solution.
There are sixteen puzzles as well as solutions are provided. I've had a larn at this - it's fun as well as the maths is accessible, hence I've added it to my 'First Lessons alongside Year 7' post.

Finally, also cheque out the 'What's Special About this Number' page. If inward your classroom yous similar to part interesting issue facts (eg relating to the date) as well as then this volition live rattling helpful! The listing goes all the agency upward to 9999.

4. Circle Game
This circle sketching game was shared by Graham Walton (@mr_g_walton). Although the scoring seems a flake inconsistent at times, it's fun to essay as well as depict the best possible circle. It industrial plant on a proper name as well as a computer. Have a go!
5. Topic Grids
Both BossMaths as well as MathsBot lately launched novel features which tin sack live used to forthwith generate mixed topic retrieval activities.

Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 distich of months agone BossMaths added 'Top Topics' to their site. Using this tool teachers tin sack do grids of upward to vi questions on topics of their choice. There are over 120 interrogation variants as well as it's rattling tardily to adapt the difficulty level. I similar it that ane time you've shown the respond yous tin sack forthwith generate an almost identical question, hence if pupils struggled alongside it as well as then they tin sack accept some other larn later you've gone through it.



On MathsBot there's now a 'last lesson, week, month, year' last year - this MathsBot tool volition relieve a lot of fourth dimension inward making those starters.

Thank yous to @boss_maths as well as @StudyMaths for their generosity inward sharing these complimentary tools for teachers.

Updates
June is e'er my busiest calendar month inward price of conferences as well as events - it's been awesome but I'm pleased to accept my weekends dorsum now! I also started my novel chore lastly Monday. It's wonderful to live properly dorsum inward a schoolhouse later a yr on the fundamental team. My schoolhouse currently simply has Year 7s as well as they are absolutely lovely. I can't facial expression to instruct them maths side yesteryear side year. Along alongside my novel squad I'm planning to essay some exciting materials - similar ringbinders instead of practise books inward maths for the whole of Year seven as well as 8. No incertitude I volition weblog well-nigh how it all goes.

In instance yous missed them, my 2 recent weblog posts were:
And hither are 2 of my older posts that are e'er pop at this fourth dimension of year:
Even though it was a few weeks ago, I haven't nevertheless had the peril to study dorsum on La Salle's #mathsconf19 which took house inward South Yorkshire. It was a bully conference inward a especially lovely venue. I enjoyed pre-conference drinks, ran the MA bookstand, presented on the development of maths vocabulary, caught upward alongside my Twitter pals Ed as well as Tom, as well as went to some bully workshops.
If yous missed it on Twitter at the time, do cheque out this thread from Sam Blatherwick which features exercises from his workshop on inequalities. There were some questions inward this laid of exercises that I've never asked earlier as well as this made me call upward well-nigh the gaps inward my explanations.

Last Mon I delivered the closing plenary at the Kent as well as Medway Maths Hub Conference. It was lovely that I got to accept dinner alongside some of the speakers as well as organisers the nighttime before, including James as well as James from my PGCE course.
I actually enjoyed the workshops I attended. In Peter Hubble's session on algebraic proof he shared a funny Abbott as well as Costello video that I'd never seen before.



In Pietro Tozzi's workshop on Edexcel Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 level, he told us that some schools accept started using the large information laid to instruct statistics at Key Stage three as well as iv to construct early on familiarity. For example schools who do Edexcel Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 degree work weather condition information for GCSE box plots as well as hence on. He also shared some large information laid resources.
Another affair that Pietro shared that I hadn't seen earlier was a laid of actually good videos from Pearson explaining how to work the Classwiz at Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 level. Teachers who are teaching Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 degree for the outset fourth dimension side yesteryear side yr would do goodness from watching these videos to ensure they are familiar alongside all the novel reckoner functions.
And finally from this conference, here's a bully job shared yesteryear Charlie Stripp.


In other news:
  • I wrote June's edition of the MA eNews. We accept lately relaunched this newsletter - non entirely does it comprise tidings from the MA as well as the wider basis of maths education, but it also at nowadays contains puzzles as well as resources for maths teachers. Subscribe here to have futurity editions.
  • This year's Big Math Off is underway. I competed lastly yr as well as that meant I had the abide by of picking an entrant for this year's competition. I nominated Vincent Pantaloni - yous tin sack read his entries, as well as all the other wonderful maths beingness shared, on aperiodical.com.
  • Don't forget to majority your ticket for Marvellous Maths Teaching which is beingness run yesteryear me as well as Craig Barton inward Oct 2019. We've sold some xc tickets already, which is exciting given that nosotros know that most teachers won't live inward a seat to majority until September. 

I'll leave of absence yous this video, shared on Twitter yesteryear @DrFrostMaths. It's an American Youtuber completing an Edexcel Maths GCSE paper. I constitute it surprisingly enjoyable! It's weird, as well as quite insightful, to take away heed someone's entire thought processes every bit they do maths.








No comments:

Post a Comment