Monday, January 8, 2001

Two Maths Apps For Children

A piddling piece agone I had a comment on my spider web log from a rear who asked if I could recommend some apps for their children. I couldn't at the time, but immediately I can. I of late did some run researching some of the best apps related to maths, logic together with work solving for all Key Stages (from historic stream iv through to eighteen). There are many! In the procedure of doing this inquiry I downloaded some bright apps for my ain children to endeavour out. My daughters Maddie (7) together with Hettie (5) got to live on my guinea pigs, together with thankfully they actually loved the apps I chose for them. I've decided to write well-nigh 2 of my favourite apps here. This is the kickoff fourth dimension I've written a ship service aimed at parents rather than teachers. Note that I bought these apps myself - no 1 has paid me to promote their app (I don't practise that!).

Thinkrolls
As I write this ship service my v twelvemonth one-time is sitting side past times side to me playing Thinkrolls. She loves it! Every immediately together with and then she asks me to hand her a hint when she gets stuck. I endeavour non to hand her a hint - I know she tin run every score out herself, 1 time she's had a intend well-nigh it. Thinkrolls is a beautiful piddling game together with absolutely perfect for her age. Easy means is aimed at 3 to v twelvemonth olds together with difficult means is for ages v to eight. The thought is to motion cute piddling characters some mazes. It takes logic together with creative thinking. It's super fun, together with good worth the £3.99.
I've e'er been actually hesitant well-nigh paying for apps but immediately I realise that's a chip empty-headed - I purchase books together with board games, I rent films together with subscribe to Netflix, I pay for swimming lessons together with Kung Fu together with thus on - thus I'm non certain why I thought that I shouldn't pass £3.99 on a clever piddling educational app.

I'm real pleased to run across that the developer of Thinkrolls has a publish of like apps thus that when nosotros complete the kickoff Thinkrolls nosotros tin endeavour some other 1 inwards the series. 


Slice Fractions
My 7 twelvemonth one-time has been playing Slice Fractions. This is straight related to the maths curriculum but I don't intend she thinks of it equally a maths game. To her it's only a game involving woolly mammoths inwards funny hats.
She's done a piddling chip of run on fractions at schoolhouse but she's real much a novice. As before long equally the app introduced fraction musical note she started to observe it a chip tricky because she doesn't know the basic concepts (eg what a quarter is), but she's non been pose off. She loves it together with she seems to live on picking upward the concepts pretty quickly. The makers of this app tell that inquiry shows that "Slice Fractions significantly improved students’ functioning inwards a real brusque total of time". So perchance this game volition assist to educate my daughter's agreement of fractions, also equally giving her opportunities to solve problems together with intend logically. And fifty-fifty if it doesn't assist her empathise fractions better, together with then there's no downside because to her it's only a fun game.


Slice Fractions is £3.99, together with there's a sequel (Slice Fractions 2).

If y'all receive got children a like historic stream to mine, I recommend both Thinkrolls together with Slice Fractions. In my see they're worth buying.

The other maths apps that are actually good respected are those from Dragonbox. They receive got apps for kids from historic stream iv upward to teenagers (including algebra for both v together with twelve twelvemonth olds). I haven't tried them nevertheless but I've heard they are awesome.

By the means - I haven't featured the bright apps Box Island together with Sumaze Primary hither because I've blogged well-nigh them before. I should cite Numberblocks though - they receive got 2 lovely apps, 1 of which is free.

Enjoy!
My guinea pigs!

No comments:

Post a Comment