Friday, January 5, 2001

5 Maths Gems #116

Welcome to my 116th gems post. This is where I portion to a greater extent than or less of the latest news, ideas in addition to resources for maths teachers.

1. New Resources
I featured TES author Gems 110 dorsum inwards May. He has directly joined Twitter (@CP3fxy) in addition to has been busy sharing lots of lovely costless resources. For illustration cheque out his collection of 10 lessons on expanding in addition to factorising and his collection of 4 lessons on algebraic fractions.

2. Dice
Ed Southall (@solvemymaths) noticed that if you lot but google 'D6' (or 'D4, 'D20' etc) thence this cool interactive die tool comes up. I honey how geeky the meshing is.

3. MathsPad
Having taught nada but H5N1 bird in addition to GCSE for a few years, it's quite a alter for me to hold upward teaching solely Year seven in addition to 8 this year. I'm loving the fact that most of my lessons directly characteristic resources from my favourite website MathsPad.

Here's an extract from i of their latest Stem in addition to Leaf resources.
MathsPad's total Oct 2019 resources update is here - I honey the hold off of their novel real-life graphs resources in addition to hold off frontward to using them i day. Plus there's a charge of lovely materials on metric units which I'll hold upward teaching soon.

4. H5N1 Level
H5N1 bird teachers mightiness hold upward interested inwards these novel resources:
  • Jack Nicol (@geomathsblog) shared a website made past times i of his Year xiii students. It searches through WJEC attempt out papers in addition to returns results past times keyword for H5N1 bird subjects Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Computer Science, Economics, Business in addition to Psychology. This mightiness hold upward helpful to both teachers in addition to students. Try searching for 'parametric' to encounter how it works.
  • Tom Bowler (@Ridermeister) of the Exeter Mathematics School has shared a collection of interview questions to aid set upward candidates for the mathematical questions that mightiness hold upward asked inwards academy interviews. 
  • CrashMaths (@crashMATHS_CM) updated their resources for the Edexcel Large Data Set.

5. Trigonometry Task
Another i of my favourite resources writers, Dan Walker (@360maths), shared a rich task for consolidating trigonometry amongst Year 11.

Update
My schoolhouse workload is insane at the moment, but I'm hopeful (!) that things volition calm downward a combat subsequently half-term. September is e'er tough isn't it? I accept a novel chore that's totally unlike to anything I've done before, addition I'm teaching topics I haven't taught inwards a decade. I'm real much enjoying my novel chore - it's thence exciting to hold upward inwards a build novel school. You mightiness accept seen on Twitter that I'm excited close my classroom equipment (a fab novel visualiser in addition to a lovely Classwiz emulator) in addition to I've been actually enjoying teaching proper maths again, costless from all the attempt out pressure. For i of my classes I've been trying Memory King in addition to Five for Five - they seem to hold upward working well, in addition to I volition weblog close these things presently (if I acquire time...!).
I late blogged close my mass 'A Compendium of Mathematical Methods' which is available to guild directly for delivery inwards December. I sent a draft version to Emma McCrea, Craig Barton in addition to Ben Sparks in addition to was delighted past times their feedback.



I demand to reclaim to a greater extent than or less of my weekends to pass to a greater extent than fourth dimension amongst my children thence I've turned downward the chance to verbalise at a publish of conferences this year, but I volition hold upward at #mathsconf21 inwards Peterborough adjacent weekend. I'll hold upward sharing to a greater extent than or less awesome resources inwards my workshop 'Calculator Crisis'. It's fab that i of my favourite maths authors Alex Bellos volition hold upward in that place also (I suggested he come upward along thence I'm delighted that it's happening!).

I late presented a dyad of workshops at #mathsconf20 inwards Edinburgh. It was prissy to hold upward given the chance to tell a few words to all delegates close the benefits of joining The Mathematical Association.
You tin directly bring together the MA for solely £2.50 a calendar month - that's such a modest amount of coin to hold upward component subdivision of the oldest dependent plain association inwards the world! And it comes amongst a large discount off our awesome Easter 2020 conference. If you lot compass upward one's remove heed to come upward for the whole conference (2 nights/3 days) thence members salve £50 on tickets - thence it's good worth joining fifty-fifty if but for that.




Speaking of CPD, the 'Marvellous Maths' course of didactics I'm running amongst Craig Barton is fast approaching. It's shaping upward to hold upward a actually exciting hateful solar daytime - in that place are a few tickets left thence mass directly if you lot desire to come!

Here are a few to a greater extent than bits in addition to pieces that you lot mightiness accept missed:
  • I shared an algebraic component subdivision machines resource that I made for my Year 7s. It drew out to a greater extent than or less telephone commutation misconceptions in addition to generated to a greater extent than or less useful bird discussions. 
  • I had a lovely even at Rob Eastaway's mass launch for his vivid novel mass 'Maths on the Back of an Envelope'. 
  • Did you lot encounter that a London schoolhouse man child came upward amongst a novel divisibility test? 'Chika's Test' is such a dandy story to portion amongst your pupils.

I'll move out you lot amongst this fun game from Christian Lawson-Perfect (@christianp) based on @DavidKButlerUoA's 'number dress-up party' puzzle. All the numbers accept come upward to a political party inwards fancy dress. Which numbers tin you lot correctly identify?





No comments:

Post a Comment