Wednesday, January 24, 2001

5 Maths Gems #106

Welcome to my 106th gems post. This is where I part to a greater extent than or less of the latest news, ideas too resources for maths teachers.

1. Maths4Everyone
I receive got written close David Morse's (@Maths4Everyone) resources a issue of times before. I utilization them a lot inwards lessons, especially his packs of GCSE questions past times topic. Up until similar a shot I receive got ever accessed them through TES, simply similar a shot David has updated his website so his costless original too secondary resources are easily accessible without a login.

One clever characteristic of the website is the 'click-to-zoom' functionality where yous tin plough over the axe zoom inwards on a detail enquiry or solution when yous become through answers with the class.
I also similar the means his novel codebreakers give an anagram - this stops pupils from giving upward on the maths equally presently equally they've worked out the judgement which is a mutual work inwards codebreakers!

2. Facts too Basics
Thanks to Adam Smith (@Adam_SmithMaths) who has shared 'Facts too Basics' resources for Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 marking too GCSE. These quizzes include facts, formulae too curt procedural questions to assistance pupils exercise the basics.
3. Notation too Symbols
Thanks to Karen Campe (@KarenCampe) for sharing a link to the article "Learning Mathematical Symbolism: Challenges too Instructional Strategies" by Rheta N. Rubenstein too Denisse R. Thompson. There's lots to call upward close here.

In the tabular array below, the final instance is especially worth discussing. At Amy How's Rekenrek workshop at #mathsconf18 she mentioned that she would never tell 'zero bespeak six' - she'd ever tell 6th tenths instead. I've heard other people tell this too, too I wonder why I all the same proceed to tell decimals inwards such an unhelpful way. When I tell 0.42 out loud to pupils, mayhap I should consistently tell '42 hundredths' instead of 'zero bespeak iv two'. I receive got a feeling nosotros (ie many teachers inwards this province - I know I'm generalising) powerfulness live a chip behind other countries with this.
The article includes teaching strategies:
"Students may also live instructed to tape symbols inwards their ain personal symbol tabular array or carte du jour file, inwards which they write the symbol, tape inwards English linguistic communication how to tell it, too plough over examples of its use". 
Other ideas include bespeak pupils to invent 'graffiti' for mathematical symbols (examples below - these are similar to the calligrams I receive got featured inwards previous gems posts) too bespeak pupils to construct their ain examples too non-examples.

4. Mathigon
I root blogged close the amazing website Mathigon inwards 2014, too it was a winner inwards the 2015 Gem Awards. The content goes from forcefulness to strength. The author Philipp Legner has late published a construct novel costless course of written report 'Circles too Pi' that contains countless interactive explanations on circles, spheres, too conic sections. It is such a cool website - receive got a play with the animations too you'll encounter what I mean. Here's a trailer for the novel content:




5. AQA Additional Maths Pilot Questions
Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 few years agone I wrote close using former Linked Pair Pilot questions with GCSE classes too shared to a greater extent than or less examples of skillful questions. I tin plough over the axe also recommend former AQA Additional Maths Pilot papers too. To explicate why I've been using these: twice a calendar week I run morn intervention with a Year xi top laid at a schoolhouse inwards Croydon. It's taken a piece for the pupils to warm upward to me, simply we're getting at that spot now. We pass an hr doing challenging GCSE-level questions together. It plant good when I sit down too piece of work out the solutions amongst them. The work is, because I'm non their instructor I receive got to live careful non to plough over them questions that their instructor powerfulness receive got already used. So I search for suitable questions elsewhere. Here 2 questions nosotros enjoyed final week:


If you're preparing students for their GCSE exams too then don't forget I receive got a large collection of revision resources here.

Update
I've been super busy this yr with diverse projects, thus the lack of spider web log posts. I produce update things behind the scenes all the fourth dimension though, fifty-fifty when I appear quiet! This week, cheers to lovely contributors, I added to a greater extent than or less novel primary topics inwards depth packs too to a greater extent than or less novel Pret homeworks.
My this post last month.

Last calendar week I went to a bully outcome at Amazon with loads of cool maths people similar Alex Bellos, Conrad Wolfram too Colin Hegarty. The Head of Amazon Britain is a mathematician too he wants to back upward maths education. No dubiousness I volition update my readers on this first over the coming months.

If yous were at my Humble Pi mass launch too then produce banking concern check out the superpermuatations video that was filmed at the event.



Humble Pi is currently the UK's issue 1 bestselling mass which is actually exciting.

Last weekend was #mathsconf18 inwards Birmingham. As park I had a lovely time, met lots of awesome teachers too attended bully workshops. Thank yous to David Faram for helping me run the MA bookstand too Rob Smith for driving the MA bookstand all the means from Leicester.


I presented on Unit Conversions - my slides tin plough over the axe live downloaded from my Topics inwards Depth page.



Next weekend I'm speaking at the Habs Girls conference too the next weekend I'm speaking at Educating Northants which is going to live absolutely huge - banking concern check out the programme! Look out for a Conference Takeaways podcast from me too Craig Barton afterwards.

Next calendar month it volition live the 5th anniversary of resourceaholic.com (so fourth dimension for my 5th annual Gem Awards!) too coincidentally inwards the same calendar month I await to exceed 5,000,000 views.

I'll exit yous with a work from Daniel Griller (@puzzlecritic) that he shared inwards his workshop at #mathsconf18. Enjoy!

The numbers 1, 2 too x are written on the board. Their hateful is equal to the production of their median too range. Find all possible values of x.









No comments:

Post a Comment