Monday, January 1, 2001

Book Launch!

Back inwards September I wrote a blog post close the mass that I've written. In that ship service explained why I wrote it too what it's all about. I submitted my manuscript at the terminate of the summertime holidays too (naively) thought that all my operate was done. In September too Oct I chose the pattern of the cover, gathered some reviews for the Amazon page too that was close it - it wasn't a huge amount of work. Then came November, too all of a abrupt everything was actually total on.

Getting the mass laid upwards for impress was a much bigger undertaking than I expected. I stayed upwards belatedly into the nighttime many times inwards November, working on checks too edits. My editor was vivid too made lots of useful suggestions. The challenge came from the fact that all of my equations were retyped too hence needed thorough checking, too all of the intricately detailed one-time textbook extracts were retyped too. It was an immense undertaking to proofread every unmarried line. If I wasn't a instructor I would lead maintain taken a few days off operate to produce it. But I had to check it inwards around long days at work, getting my girls into bed, doing my marker too lesson planning, too everything else. In hindsight I intend mayhap it was foolish of me to intend I could last a full-time instructor too mum of 2 immature children too write a book! But hey, I lived to country the tale.

It's quite possible that an mistake volition lead maintain made it through to the book, too I tin merely apologise for that. I worked harder on this than I've e'er worked on anything before, too forthwith it's beingness printed I experience rather emotional close it all. I experience relief, anxiety too happiness all at the same time. 

Because I never thought I'd write a book, too forthwith I have, I actually desire to celebrate. Although I've organised too hosted 2 mass launches too a release of other events inwards the past, I decided that I wouldn't last able to lead maintain a launch for my ain book. My novel undertaking is actually tough, too weekends too evenings inwards Dec are packed total of both operate too work solid unit of measurement stuff, so I definitely don't lead maintain fourth dimension to organise an event.

Thankfully my friend Emma McCrea (author of Making Every Maths Lesson Count) got inwards touching on too offered to organise too host a launch political party for me. I'm real grateful to her for working actually apace to larn everything laid upwards inwards fourth dimension for the book's publication date. Tickets went on sale today, too I'm real excited close it.

The launch is on 14th Dec at SAMA Bankside, which is a bar close Blackfriars inwards London (those of you lot who stayed on for the Humble Pi afterparty mightiness cry back it!). The upshot is 3pm until 5.30pm. If anyone wants to remain out afterward too plough it into a maths instructor Christmas nighttime out so I'm upwards for that (it's optional though!). It's been a piece since the terminal #christmaths so I intend we're overdue a festive party... 

My footling mass launch volition consist of maths activities, drinks, maths mingling, too 2 talks (one from me too 1 from the awesome speaker Zoe Griffiths). Tickets are £20 too this includes a re-create of the mass (hot off the press), a drinkable on arrival too all mathsy entertainment.

I know lots of people are going to last busy on the 14th, but I promise some people tin bring together me to celebrate (I'm aware it's non ideal timing for a launch, but I actually wanted the mass to last out earlier Christmas).

You tin mass a ticket here. Feel complimentary to pick out partners too friends - this upshot is non alone for maths teachers, though the amusement is all mathematical!

Hope to run across you lot there. And if you lot can't come upwards but withal desire to read my book, it's available to companionship here.





No comments:

Post a Comment