Tuesday, January 16, 2001

Calculator Woes

One of the Year eleven classes I instruct is what nosotros telephone telephone a withdrawal group. They all got a Grade 0 inwards their Higher GCSE mock dorsum inwards Nov hence nosotros moved them to Foundation tier. This was definitely the right decision. I instruct them for 2 double periods a week. The pupils inwards this detail grouping are really complex. Trying to instruct them has been the most challenging matter I receive got e'er done. I'm crossing my fingers that they all larn a Grade four this summer.

Last calendar week I attempted to engage this cast inwards a revision lesson alongside 1 of the revision mats I lately made. This required calculators, which I lent them. This detail revision mat was deliberately designed to seat gaps inwards their noesis of how to utilization basic computing device functions. I really rapidly discovered that at that spot were indeed many gaps. In this ship service I promise to aid teachers of similar GCSE classes last aware of things to await out for in addition to address.

The outset enquiry to drive me line of piece of work concern was this 1 on multiplying fractions:
The response they wrote downwards was 4.2. There are 2 worrying things nearly this: 
  1. that they don't recognise that the response should last greater than 21 (an surface area model would last a practiced way to demonstrate this)
  2. after almost 5 years of using calculators at secondary school, they don't know where the mixed number cardinal is. 
Their response of 4.2 came from them inputting the fraction ½ in addition to and then using the cursor to motion dorsum in addition to set a 3 inwards forepart of it. The computing device sees this equally 3 x ½ rather than the intended 3 + ½. 

In this province (though obviously non all others), writing 3½ means 'three in addition to a half' in addition to nosotros telephone telephone it a 'mixed number' - I'm pretty certain my pupils know this much. But when I went circular in addition to corrected each of them individually they all swore blind that they had never earlier been shown the mixed number button.
Now, I receive got been education teenagers long plenty to know that the one-time 'we've never been taught this' line is commonly nonsense. However inwards this instance it may good last true. When nosotros instruct fraction arithmetics nosotros do hence inwards lessons that deliberately don't involve calculators. So unless these pupils receive got had a 'calculator skills' lesson in addition to then perhaps they haven't been shown it.

The minute enquiry to drive me line of piece of work concern was this one:
Thankfully all but 1 pupil wrote downwards the right response without using a computing device because they receive got some agreement of house value (phew!). The pupil who got it wrong wrote 1 seventh. 
He could receive got typed 7% inwards his computing device in addition to and then pressed the S-D push in addition to it would receive got done it for him. The per centum push only divides past times 100. It's aught exceptional but it's at that spot if they demand it. For example, retrieve nearly the diverse ways to do this question: 
We know that the most efficient matter to type into your computing device is 43 x 1.16. If pupils are non au fait alongside multipliers in addition to then mayhap they tin type 16% x 43 instead, making utilization of the per centum button, in addition to and then add together their response to 43.

Do they do this? Hell no. Interestingly this is a theme where most students working at Grades 1 - 3 are really practiced at non-calculator methods. They volition receive got done a lot of piece of work on using multiplicative reasoning to notice 10%, 5% in addition to 1%. I'm super pleased that they tin do this, but it's frustrating to come across them utilization this method when they receive got a computing device at their disposal.

The side past times side enquiry that alerted me to a noesis gap was this one:
There were 2 issues here: 1. non knowing where the cube root push is (I've known pupils to do 3√64 inwards the past) in addition to 2. non next the social club of operations. Some of them wrote xv x 4, having worked out the cube root of 64 on their computing device later quest me the whereabouts of the button. I reminded them that their computing device has 'been taught the social club of operations in addition to understands it well', hence nosotros tin trust it to correctly evaluate the multiplication outset if nosotros type inwards the whole calculation inwards 1 go. The occupation of course of report comes alongside something similar this:
In this instance the computing device does indeed follow the social club of operations, hence if y'all type -32 in addition to then it volition correctly foursquare the 3 earlier multiplying it past times negative one. But of course of report that's non what nosotros wanted it to do. So if nosotros insist on squaring negative 3 using a calculator, in addition to then nosotros must set it inwards brackets. In fact if using a computing device I'd advise putting all substituted values inwards brackets ie typing inwards 5(-3)2 -2(-3). I'd prefer to come across this 1 done without a computing device actually though. 

Evaluating the foursquare of a negative incorrectly using a computing device is a occupation that persists. We know that GCSE students brand this error all the fourth dimension when asked to plot quadratic graphs. They halt upward alongside weird looking 'parabolas'. I remind them that they know they've gone wrong if their graph isn't symmetrical. Pupils must utilization brackets if they utilization a computing device to foursquare a negative! I experience similar I've said this a 1 G k times in addition to I volition proceed proverb it until I'm blueish inwards the face. 

The side past times side enquiry is 1 that I deliberately included inwards the resources to depict my pupils' attending to a useful computing device button. In my enquiry nearly prime numbers, most of them assumed that 51 is prime. I pointed out that using the FACT push volition demo the prime factorisation of that number, which is rather exciting.  If they're asked to write a number equally a production of primes it volition in all probability last inwards the non-calculation paper, but it's even hence helpful to know this function. It gave me the chance to receive got a helpful conversation alongside my pupils nearly what prime numbers are. 

I retrieve they were impressed past times this button. 'This push is peng, fam'.


I had shown them it before, dorsum inwards January. I'd also shown them the push they tin utilization for fourth dimension conversions. They were impressed in addition to then too, but had clearly forgotten all nearly these buttons which is unfortunate.

The finally enquiry of involvement is this 1 on measure form.
Like fractions, measure cast is ofttimes taught inwards a non-calculator context. And fifty-fifty if nosotros receive got a calculator, it doesn't aid us convert betwixt measure cast in addition to ordinary numbers. However, if we're asked to utilization measure cast inwards a calculation in addition to nosotros receive got a computing device to hand, it mightiness last helpful to know how to utilization the x10x button. 

On reflection, this resources ended upward beingness to a greater extent than than precisely a revision mat. It helped me seat in addition to address meaning gaps inwards computing device knowledge, albeit much to a greater extent than finally infinitesimal than I would receive got liked. They should receive got been using these buttons for years. 

I should cite that when I took on this cast at Christmas at that spot were fifty-fifty to a greater extent than gaps inwards their computing device knowledge. At outset they weren't making utilization of the Ans button. Plus, to do tell 5.72 they would type 5.7 x 5.7 because they didn't know nearly the x2 button. So nosotros receive got made some progress. 

Ironically, equally they left the classroom I reminded them that they should convey compasses in addition to a protractor to their maths seek out in addition to they told me that they don't demand to because it is all provided for them inwards a pencil case. 'Oh. In that instance precisely brand certain y'all convey your calculator. It has to last the 1 you've been using for the finally 5 years - the 1 y'all know how to use'. 'Nah immature adult woman - they render calculators too, we'll precisely utilization whatever they give us'. 



*******

This lesson got me thinking. I receive got a feeling that many schools don't do plenty alongside calculators. In every schoolhouse where I've taught Year 7 nosotros haven't used calculators at all for the entire yr - this is such a shame when at that spot are many opportunities to explore in addition to brand sense of numbers inwards Year 7 using calculators. Also, although nosotros demand to create fluency alongside arithmetics inwards Year 7, I am convinced nosotros should allow calculators for topics such equally angles. It makes sense, in addition to pupils similar it.

Pupils demand to last explicitly shown how to utilization their calculators throughout secondary schoolhouse - I retrieve that teachers ofttimes assume pupils already know the principal keys. We demand to comport inwards withdraw heed that much of it may non last obvious to a novice.

If y'all currently instruct Year half-dozen or Year 7 in addition to then y'all mightiness desire your cast to receive got component inwards MEI's Calculator Crunch inwards June. In this challenge at that spot volition last nine daily problems to solve using a calculator. MEI volition last providing 2 lesson plans too.

There are lots of fun 'know your calculator' activities inwards my resources library. These are great, but nosotros must brand certain that computing device utilization is embedded throughout the topics nosotros instruct too, non precisely covered separately. I'm certain that some schools already do this actually well.

*******

Note that the computing device pictures inwards this ship service are from my 'peng' Casio fx-83GTX which was kindly given to me past times Science Studio (and engraved alongside Mrs Morgan, which I love!). The buttons I've featured are inwards the same seat on the Casio fx-83GT in addition to fx-85GT (the ubiquitous calculators inwards the electrical flow Year eleven cohort).








No comments:

Post a Comment