Wednesday, January 17, 2001

5 Maths Gems #110

Welcome to my 110th gems post. This is where I part merely about of the latest news, ideas in addition to resources for maths teachers.

1. TES Author
When nosotros did the latest circular of TES Maths Panel reviews, my beau panelist Damian Watson discovered the wonderful complimentary resources of TES writer cparkinson3. This author's PowerPoints are actually good designed - they are slick in addition to professional person amongst neatly animated worked examples addition exercises amongst solutions.

For trial banking concern friction match out the ii lessons on volume of prisms - 1 for Foundation tier in addition to 1 for Higher tier.
This resources on curve sketching is excellent.
I actually similar the bar modelling lesson too.

Check out the full collection. I've added them all to my resource libraries.

2. Vectors inwards Transformations
There's been merely about updates to BossMaths including changes to their Geogebra applets. The rotations applet forthwith lets you lot demonstrate in addition to enshroud tracing paper. You tin also role vectors every bit an option to using tracing paper. I similar this thought - I notice using tracing newspaper a fleck unsatisfactory therefore I volition attempt vectors adjacent fourth dimension I learn this.

The here.

3. SATs Support
I know this is a fleck belatedly for Year vi teachers because SATs are adjacent week, but these resources mightiness move helpful to teachers of other twelvemonth groups, in addition to to Year vi teachers adjacent year.

Mr Morgs (@_mrmorgs) shared a PowerPoint explaining the linguistic communication used inwards the KS2 Maths SATs. This follows on from his detailed analysis of seek out language. This is actually interesting in addition to comes amongst lots of advice for teachers. I promise that 1 hateful solar daytime person does a similarly detailed analysis of the linguistic communication used inwards GCSE maths exams.
Greg Chantler (@gregchantler) seat all Key Stage 2 SATs arithmetics questions together inwards a PowerPoint in addition to separate them yesteryear curriculum year. Each enquiry comes amongst word prompts.
4. Defend Yourself
Amie Albrecht (@nomad_penguin) shared a novel thought for an activity. Students are assigned to a representation or method in addition to convey to attempt to explicate why it's best. I recall this would prompt rich word in addition to thinking.
5. Shifting Times Tables
This action from Miss Konstantine (@GiftedBA) provides a actually clear representation of linear sequences every bit 'shifting times tables'.
Here nosotros tin run into the iv times tabular array (4n) highlighted inwards the showtime row, in addition to therefore nosotros run into that the times tabular array has been shifted downward yesteryear 1 inwards the instant row, pregnant the nth term of the sequence is 4n - 1. I beloved the visualisation here. Check out Miss Konstantine's regularly updated blog for lots of groovy maths activities in addition to resources.

Update
My weblog has been receiving tape issue of visitors inwards the final duet of weeks. I gauge a lot of people are using my GCSE revision resources page and my of late published postal service on Foundation revision resources.

I've of late uploaded ii sets of revision mats to TES. I made these at operate when I realised it's hard to notice suitable resources for students who are working at a Grade 1 or 2. Most GCSE resources are inaccessible to them, in addition to this tin resultant inwards disengagement in addition to sometimes bad behaviour. So I made A3 revision mats that are to a greater extent than accessible, in addition to piece I was doing that I made similar resources for other classes. So at that spot are iv levels of difficulty. You tin download these resources here:

I also made merely about Foundation workouts which are specially 'print budget friendly'.

GCSE exams are merely circular the corner now. Don't forget that final twelvemonth I made breakfast revision resources for all 3 exams. These tin move used either on the morning time of the exams or inwards the lessons leading upward to them. 
Last calendar week I published yesteryear 5th Annual Gem Awards. Do banking concern friction match it out if you lot missed it therefore you lot tin run into all the best gems of the year.
Congratulations to Emma McCrea on the publication of her novel mass 'Making Every Maths Lesson Count'. This is an first-class mass for maths teachers.

Here are another things you lot mightiness convey missed:
  • In 2017 I published a postal service on approaches to answering AQA GCSE ratio questions. It's 1 of my around pop posts amongst over 20,000 reads. I've forthwith made a lesson to accompany this post.
  • Adam Boxer (@adamboxer1) shared a postal service on observing goodness teaching which includes an 'expert teaching observation form'. I contributed to this postal service yesteryear testing the shape out inwards a maths lesson.
  • Richard Tock (@TickTockMaths) published a issue of novel lessons including merely about on indices which depict a lot of ideas from my Topics inwards Depth CPD. Check them out on his blog
  • One of my Year 11s was flummoxed yesteryear rotational symmetry final calendar week therefore I used the FlashMaths rotational symmetry tool to demonstrate him how it works. This has been around for a real long fourth dimension therefore I was surprised that a lot of teachers on Twitter hadn't seen it before.
Don't forget that at that spot are a issue of events inwards the summertime term that are forthwith opened upward for booking (see my events listings here). I volition move presenting at researchED Rugby 2019, the Complete Mathematics Conference, the MEI Conference and the Kent in addition to Medway Secondary Maths Conference. Speaking of events, I also convey something a fleck dissimilar to denote shortly - lookout adult man this space.

I'll move out you lot amongst this video on why null is the naughtiest in addition to around of import issue from BBC Ideas.






No comments:

Post a Comment