Friday, January 24, 2020

Looking Ahead

So how was your 2015/16? Careers get got their ups together with downs. This was the best twelvemonth of my pedagogy career hence far, thank yous to a wonderful laid of colleagues.

I got my novel timetable on Fri which agency I tin straight off commencement thinking virtually what I demand to do over summertime to ready for September. My schoolhouse has increased the fourth dimension allocated to maths for most twelvemonth groups, hence this is where nosotros straight off stand upward inwards terms of the publish of i hr lessons per fortnight:
I holler upward this volition piece of employment well. It differs from allocations at other schools - discussions on Twitter this twelvemonth get got shown that at that topographic point is fiddling consistency inwards maths timetabling across the country. 

The changed allocations at my schoolhouse hateful that most maths teachers volition live pedagogy fewer classes adjacent year, but seeing their classes to a greater extent than often. This has clear advantages inwards terms of human relationship edifice together with instructor workload (eg a reduction inwards attempt marking, parents evenings together with hence on). However it has come upward at a terms - our cast sizes are straight off really large (from what I've gathered on Twitter, nosotros get got larger 'bottom sets' than most other schools) - this worries me.

Teaching Year vii (my exclusively Key Stage 3 class) volition live my large challenge adjacent year. We're moving to a quasi-mastery curriculum and, without whatever proper grooming or guidance, I holler upward we'll all notice this difficult. Half a term of fractions, eek! 

My other classes are Year 11, Year 12 together with Year 13. It's funny to holler upward that this volition live the lastly twelvemonth that nosotros volition instruct C1 together with C2. Just when I was starting to learn the hang of it...

GCSE
I'll live taking my hand laid Year 10 through to Year eleven adjacent year. I intend to hand off amongst regular depression stakes quizzes (as discussed here).

I nevertheless get got a lot of GCSE content to learn through together with fearfulness that at that topographic point volition live really fiddling (if any) fourth dimension for revision together with examination preparation inwards lessons later on Easter. This agency I demand to holler upward carefully virtually how to run lessons together with homeworks effectively throughout the year.

I intend to case using yell upward binders instead of practise books amongst this cast adjacent year. It mightiness live a disaster, but I run hence many worksheets that I'm no longer convinced that it makes sense to run practise books. I'll study dorsum on how it goes...

I lately delivered to a greater extent than or less grooming on the novel GCSE which I'll spider web log virtually adjacent week.

SCITT
My schoolhouse straight off leads a SCITT, which agency (with my Lead Practitioner lid on) I'll live much to a greater extent than involved inwards instructor training. Next twelvemonth I volition live a 'Lead Subject Mentor', important I'm inwards accuse of maths-specific grooming together with assessment for our cohort of maths trainees. I'm excited virtually this - it's just what I desire to focus on. It's a expert career evolution chance for me.

We get got 5 novel teachers (of which iii are NQTs) joining my division adjacent year, summation at to the lowest degree i trainee. That volition hold us all busy! I'll live mentoring i of our NQTs together with assessing an NQT inwards to a greater extent than or less other subject.

Numeracy Initiative
I've been seat inwards accuse of whole schoolhouse numeracy adjacent year. To learn an thought of where I stand upward on numeracy, read Dani Quinn's splendid postal service Headaches Across the Curriculum: what’s the signal inwards whole-school numeracy?.

The way I see it, the best affair I tin do for my students is increment their fluency when working amongst numbers - from that flows the all-important confidence. So I'm going to run my numeracy budget to commencement a large force on times tables for Year 7. We volition subscribe to Times Tables Rockstars together with promote it through a launch assembly, an later on schoolhouse 'Rock Gods' club, competitions together with prizes, together with dedicated fourth dimension inwards maths lessons together with afternoon registrations. If all goes good we'll get got a large proportion of our Year 7s loving numbers past times the destination of the year! 


Summer
I expect forrard to spending to a greater extent than or less lineament fourth dimension amongst my household unit of measurement this summer. My eldest missy Maddie starts main schoolhouse inwards September.

I'm a Year 12 cast tutor hence volition get got 32 personal statements to review together with 32 references to write over summertime (my tutor grouping is unusually large for Sixth Form). I've non done this earlier together with I get got a feeling it volition get got me ages, hence I definitely don't desire to move out it all until September.

Over summertime I'll likewise live starting to innovation my one-day dependent plain cognition enhancement sessions for the SCITT, together with I've signed upward for to a greater extent than or less paid proofreading piece of employment for an Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 grade textbook (just to brand ends meet). I'm non yet certain if I'll get got my ain classroom to tidy together with decorate but if hence so I'll do that when I learn into schoolhouse on GCSE results twenty-four hr stream - thank yous to Twitter I'm never curt of display ideas!

Lots to expect forrard to! Do allow me know how your twelvemonth went together with what you've got planned for adjacent year. I know that to a greater extent than or less of yous get got already broken upward but for those of us nevertheless going - bask the terminal days of the schoolhouse year! Nearly fourth dimension for a well-earned rest.






No comments:

Post a Comment