Friday, January 24, 2020

Gem Awards 2016

On 27th Apr it's resourceaholic.com's minute birthday!

Gem Awards 2015. Since thus I've published an additional 28 updates from the footing of Maths EduTwitter. Today I convey y'all some highlights from those posts. So heighten a drinking glass of champagne amongst me, as well as toast the winners of the second annual Gem Awards!

1. Best Game
The maths teachers at my schoolhouse dearest Is this prime?. We larn students from Year seven through to Year thirteen playing it inward the classroom. We compete against each other inward the Maths Office too. It's fun, addictive, accessible as well as surprisingly challenging. Top marks to Christian Lawson-Perfect for a wonderful game.
2. Best Teacher's Website
My favourite novel uncovering this yr is Gems 41 last October, includes worksheets as well as presentations suitable for high attainers, enrichment resources, H5N1 aeroplane resources as well as more.
3. Best Gif
I dearest gifs! I specially similar these The Joy of Planning'.
Special cite to this Order or Operations gif that I featured inward Gems 46 - it yet makes me laugh!
4. Best Demonstration
Speaking of gifs, I've ever used an animation to demonstrate to my students that the outside angles of a polygon amount to 360o. I've never thought of doing this lovely newspaper demonstration instead. This was shared yesteryear Gems 32.
This is just the form of affair that Twitter is skillful for - sharing pictures of things you've done inward the classroom that other teachers may non take away hold thought of.

5. Best Prompt
Anything that prompts interesting aeroplane tidings is worth a look. I actually similar these lovely statistics graphics which larn students thinking virtually the reliability of statistics. I used them inward my maiden of all S1 lesson of the year. 
6. Best New GCSE Support
The most useful laid of resources for the novel GCSE is the collection of here.

Special cite also to AQA for their novel GCSE back upward as well as resources - their Teaching Guidance is fantastic as well as I dearest their topic tests, which I oft purpose equally homeworks.

7. Best Resources
Don Steward has ever been my favourite resources provider - inward fact I gave him a Lifetime Achievement Award inward concluding year's Gem Awards. His spider web log is approaching its millionth stance as well as I expect frontward to hosting a #mathscpdchat adjacent calendar month inward which I volition live bespeak people to part their favourite Don Steward resources.

Given that I already gave Don the Lifetime Achievement Award concluding year, this yr I take away hold decided that the 'Best Resources' laurels goes to MathsPad

MathsPad is packed total of bright resources. Some are gratis as well as some require subscription. The writers, James as well as Nicola, are constantly adding novel resources which are ever good designed as well as high quality. I oft characteristic their resources inward my gems posts.

I also desire to cite a couplet to a greater extent than resources that I discovered inward the concluding year.
  • I dearest angle chases! They're lots of fun. I was delighted when Mo from Gems 35
  • In Gems 48 I shared a resources from Dan Walker on TES. He has taken problems from Junior as well as Intermediate Maths Challenges as well as organised them yesteryear topic inward a PowerPoint, amongst solutions. This, along amongst Leanne Shaw's novel website Maths Problem Solving, agency that it's forthwith much easier to uncovering employment solving activities for specific topics.

8. Best Revision Idea
I dearest Mel's Gems 42 and constitute it worked actually good inward fast paced revision lessons amongst her Year 11s. She has uploaded her adaptation of this resources to TES. I expect frontward to using it amongst my Year 11s.
Special cite to John Corbett for sharing his revision thought which involves sending packs of goodies to students at Christmas. Read Gems 35. I retrieve it's actually of import to laid clear exceptions for students at the start of the year.
John Corbett had a lovely idea, featured inward Gems 39 - he put stationery baskets as well as photograph frames on desks. The frames display Nikki's presentation standards. The motion-picture present tin live changed regularly, for illustration to display information virtually revision sessions, star students as well as thus on.
Other 'Bright Ideas' that deserve a special cite include Some Things I've Tried'; and Gems 39 for to a greater extent than on this.

That's it for the 2016 Gem Awards! What a fantastic collection of ideas as well as resources. If y'all desire to read to a greater extent than Maths Gems, there's an index here.

Thank y'all to everyone who tweets virtually what they've tried inward their classroom. Please hold doing so! I've been on Twitter for 2 years forthwith as well as I yet can't larn plenty of all the resources, inspiration as well as support. Long may it continue.


No comments:

Post a Comment