Friday, January 24, 2020

5 Maths Gems #56

This is my 56th update from the footing of Maths EduTwitter. If you're non a tweeter, or if you're wondering whether you've missed anything, here's a summary of to a greater extent than or less of the latest ideas as well as resources for teaching maths.

1. Euro 2016 Maths
@dooranran makes lovely maths resources. I recollect teachers volition actually similar the activities he has prepared for Euro 2016. Topics include vectors, Pythagoras, trigonometry, angles on parallel lines, time, pie charts as well as estimating the mean.

2. Pythagoreanmath.com
I discovered a fabulous website, pythagoreanmath.com, which has lots of cool content including an amazing department on Euclid's Elements. Do depository fiscal establishment tally it out. I too actually similar their 'Complete Explanation for Area of a Circle Formula'.
3. Find soul who can
@rondelle10_b shared an interesting visit which Phil Bruce (@pbrucemaths) adapted for maths. In 'Find Someone Who Can', students inquire other members of the flat to respond questions using the canvass pictured below. This develops students' mathematical communication skills equally they are required to explicate solutions to classmates. You tin plough over notice download the PDF from Phil's page of revision resources.
4. Colin Foster's Activities
I discovered Colin Foster's 'Instant Maths Ideas' books a acre ago. I bask browsing through them every instantly as well as and thus - they're packed total of first-class tasks as well as questions.

For example, inward Possible or Impossible? students are asked to determine whether each disputation inward the tabular array below is possible or impossible. If it’s possible they are asked to plough over an illustration as well as if it's impossible they accept to tell why.
Another non bad activity, this fourth dimension from Colin's chapter on rounding, is this business which looks at diverse scenarios inward which students accept to calculate 17 ÷ 5. In each instance they accept to recollect carefully close how to circular their answer.
5. More from MathsPad
Another awesome costless resources from MathsPad: Using a Calculator - Odd One Out. This action addresses lots of mutual errors as well as misconceptions.
Updates
I've written quite a lot of weblog posts since my terminal laid of gems. Here they are inward instance you lot missed them:

I've too added to a greater extent than or less H5N1 flat revision resources to TES - depository fiscal establishment tally out my TES Shop to download these for free.

There's loads going on inward June as well as July - encounter my conferences page for details. First upward for me is researchED Maths as well as Science inward Oxford on tenth June - the programme is first-class thus I'm actually looking forrad to it.

Bookings are instantly opened upward for my session at LIME Oldham on 20th June where I'll hold upward talking close quadratic methods. I too recommend that you lot majority a house at Edexcel's Warwick Conference where I'll hold upward presenting a session on 'The Wonderful World of Maths Resources'

Finally, I'll move out you lot amongst this laid of maths examination meme posters - I pose these upward inward my maths corridor a couplet of weeks as well as they went downwards actually good amongst students inward every twelvemonth group. They were created past times Paul Collins (here.


No comments:

Post a Comment