Sunday, February 16, 2020

What Is Writing Workshop?


Teaching writing tin hold upward challenging. Writing is really subjective. There actually isn't i correct way to write. That's why nosotros don't all similar to read the same books. And it makes writing teaching a tad difficult.

On transcend of that, teachers combat to crush writing into their already total classroom schedule. 

The combat is real. I totally acquire it. But teachers are super creative in addition to e'er looking to improve in addition to learn. We CAN brand our writing teaching to a greater extent than meaningful in addition to manageable! Let me part amongst y'all what writing workshop is (and is not) in addition to how I made it function inward my classroom.

Let me starting fourth dimension past times beingness really honest amongst you. Writing was a HOT MESS inward my classroom for several years. I had no clue how to learn it. My kids' writing was non improving. And I was literally hoping for a burn drill during writing fourth dimension every day. #notkidding

Fast forwards a few years in addition to I constitute about confidence! I created routines in addition to started to consider increment inward my students' writing.  I fifty-fifty had students who loved writing. It was a huge transformation that involved lots of case in addition to error.  Maybe I tin salve y'all a few tears....                            

What writing workshop is NOT:

Writing workshop is NOT a serial of prompts in addition to projects in addition to that y'all compass to your students. 


There is a fourth dimension in addition to a house for prompts (assessments, reading, science, etc), but students don't acquire HOW TO WRITE past times responding to a prompt. We can't hold off them to grow equally writers without giving them instruction. Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 prompt tends to learn to a greater extent than near the topic of the prompt than it does the writing process.

The practiced intelligence is that if y'all pass fourth dimension teaching students how to write, they volition naturally do meliorate on prompt writing too! 

Writing workshop is non the fourth dimension y'all pass practicing spelling in addition to grammar.


Obviously spelling in addition to grammer skills tin help a writer, but it is only a modest purpose of the skills needed to hold upward a successful writer. In reality computers tin grab lots of spelling in addition to grammer errors, but they won't add together an interesting Pb or transitions! If mechanics all nosotros are teaching, so nosotros are missing the boat. 

Writing workshop is non a center.


I know that lots of teachers accept a Work on Writing center. I accept aught against that. I sort of did too. My students used that fourth dimension to do reading answer questions. It was valuable. But it was to a greater extent than valuable to them equally a reader. They were non beingness taught how to hold upward a meliorate writers past times writing during a center. They were beingness given fourth dimension to write, but non instruction. They withdraw both!

What writing workshop is:

Writing workshop is a construction used to learn the writing process. It is how nosotros learn students the skills to pre write, draft, revise, edit in addition to issue their writing. They withdraw skills similar writing a lead, using dialogue, give-and-take selection in addition to so many others. 

Writing workshop is broken upward into 3 principal sections: a mini lesson, pupil writing in addition to part time. The independent pupil writing fourth dimension is the most of import purpose of the construction in addition to should hold upward the most total of time.



Writing workshop also includes fourth dimension for conferencing. While students are independently writing (after TONS of preparation in addition to function on improving endurance), the instructor is coming together amongst writers to help them to improve in addition to grow. This is a fourth dimension where the teaching is to a greater extent than differentiated in addition to personalized to the writer's needs. 

Writing workshop also includes pupil choice. Students select their writing topic. They are NOT responding to an assigned prompt. Writers acquire to a greater extent than excited in addition to seat forth to a greater extent than seek when they acquire to write near something that interests them. This is KEY! You volition accept to learn students how to generate their ain topics, but I hope that it is fourth dimension good spent. 

What I did differently to acquire inward work:

I had to brand 2 changes inward the writing workshop model to acquire inward function inward my classroom. These changes took me from "hot mess" to "happy writers."

Students accept SOME choice.

In the writing workshop students accept selection when it come upward to their writing topic. I am all near that. The work was that I had students writing fiction stories piece I was delivering Oscar worthy lessons near inquiry in addition to paraphrasing facts. Those students weren't using my lesson in addition to so they were forgetting the skill. 

Plus, I had students who had a favorite type of writing in addition to never tried the others. They weren't coming together all of the writing standards.

My solution? 
Students tin select the topic of their writing, but it must hold upward inside the genre that I am teaching. I taught inward units of written report in addition to nosotros would written report a genre for viii weeks. So if our unit of measurement was on personal narratives, they could select whatsoever topic equally long equally it was a personal narrative. Simple solution. World of difference.


Students write a masterpiece at my pace.

In a truthful writing workshop model, students are going through the writing procedure at their ain pace. This way that about students volition hold upward drafting, piece others are editing in addition to others are publishing. 

This drove me MAD! I couldn't grip the chaos. More importantly, my lessons were never relevant for the entire grouping since they were never at the same house inward the writing process. I mightiness compass a killer lesson near writing leads. If a pupil was publishing, he wouldn't utilization that science correct when it was taught in addition to thus unremarkably forgot the skill. 

My solution?
Students function through i slice of writing, which nosotros telephone telephone their masterpiece, at my pace. They withal select the topic, but they accept to remain amongst me inward the writing process. 

Here is how that works... I learn students lessons near generating topics. They caput to their writing location in addition to function on generating the topic for their masterpiece. They can't only saltation ahead in addition to starting fourth dimension drafting though. The adjacent 24-hour interval nosotros rehearse in addition to speak over drafting. They independently draft. Maybe the adjacent lesson is near revising their lead. That day, they function on their masterpiece lead.


If they complete the business from the mini lesson early, they function on other stories. These stories are withal the same genre nosotros are studying, but they are stories that students tin function on at their ain pace. 

So they accept choice. They function at my pace. They function at their pace. They are e'er writing. It is the best of every world!!!


Teaching our students HOW to write is so important! Not exclusively are they standards, but they are of import skills that students volition utilization all through high schoolhouse in addition to college. It's non tardily to check it in, but nosotros can't only skip it either! Look for ways to tighten upward your transitions. Maybe shorten your morn work. Eliminate about of those extras that mightiness hold upward fun, but aren't all that necessary. Let's brand writing teaching a routine inward our classrooms!

Looking for to a greater extent than information near teaching writing?


I accept lots of slap-up resources for you!

You tin sign upward for my FREE writing electronic mail course of teaching past times clicking HERE. (The course of teaching includes lots of gratis resources in addition to tips!)

You tin banking concern check out my writing videos on my YouTube channel past times clicking HERE.

You tin banking concern check out my writing units inward my store past times clicking HERE.


Have a Not So Wimpy day!


No comments:

Post a Comment