Sunday, April 19, 2020

5 Maths Gems #1

I’m fairly novel to Twitter. My absence over the final few years agency I’ve missed out on thousands of fantabulous didactics ideas. Twitter is a source of endless inspiration. So I cause got a plan. I’m going to write a weekly post highlighting 5 swell novel ideas I’ve gleaned from Twitter. These posts volition aid me retrieve things. And hopefully my readers volition do goodness too.

Today I’ve exceeded my trammel in addition to am presenting a listing of 6 ideas from my calendar week on Twitter (not a practiced start! I’ll aim for 5 adjacent week).

1. Practical ideas from Maryse. It sounds similar Maryse (@AllThingsMaths) has done an amazing labor transforming mathematics didactics inward her schoolhouse in addition to enthusing her students alongside tonnes of creative ideas. Here’s a alternative of those she’s shared this week:
  • Play grab alongside eggs in addition to function out the relative frequency of smashing.
  • Get an onetime tyre, pigment it in addition to whorl it to demonstrate circumference. 
  • Have a seat out business painted inward the playground.
  • Have discussions most going dorsum inward fourth dimension in addition to Doctor Who alongside go graphs. 
I dearest these ideas. Follow @AllThingsMaths for lots more.

Mistake Game, Colin Beveridge (My Favorite Liar’. You must read this! It prompted a give-and-take on Twitter most whether the thought would function inward maths. I think it would. In your start lesson alongside a novel class, say them that you'll say 1 prevarication per lesson. Your pupils cause got to position your lies. In the give-and-take on Twitter nosotros came upwards alongside a practiced listing of lies in addition to misconceptions, such every bit 'multiplication makes numbers bigger', 'if a seat out has 6 zeros so it's inward the millions' in addition to 'one is a prime number'. The thought is that y'all sideslip these lies into your didactics in addition to promise that your pupils volition right away challenge you. And if no-one challenges y'all so it volition brand a overnice plenary discussion. Mr Allan (@mrallanmaths) is going to endeavor it out - I’m actually looking frontward to hearing how effective it is. I think, similar the error game, it volition last incredibly engaging.

3. Box plots party. In reply to my post most teaching box plots, Pete Sides of the South Yorkshire Maths Hub (@SYMathsHub) suggested a lovely action inward which pupils speak over the ages of guests at unlike types of party, to aid them sympathise the concept of spread. For representative y'all could inquire them to line a box plot representing the ages of guests at an 18th birthday party, a wedding, a child’s political party etc. I similar this thought so I turned it into a worksheet in addition to added it to my weblog post.

Trigonometry triangles are similar. I’ve never given much thought to the fact that my students are missing an chance to practise rearranging formulae. I sympathise the argue for mixed views on these methods, but I do rather similar the triangle shared yesteryear Malc Henderson (@malc_henderson) for solving opposite percent problems. It’s overnice to cause got a make of tools to back upwards students when they’re preparing for their GCSEs.


6. Display ideas. Clarissa Grandi (@c0mplexnumber) posted a pic of her novel ‘vwllss’ corridor display (inspiration from @El_Timbre). It looks fantastic - what a practiced idea!


Other practiced display ideas I’ve seen lately include circle formulae yesteryear Dawn (@mrsdenyer), a foursquare beginning clock yesteryear Duncan Smart (@duncsmart), in addition to an interactive seat out puzzle for a maths corridor or classroom, shared yesteryear Mr C Ward (@MrWardMaths).





There y'all go, vi maths gems from @mathsjem (my initials are JEM yesteryear the way, it’s non a spelling mistake!). This is merely a pocket-size alternative of the practiced ideas I’ve seen on Twitter this week. More to come upwards adjacent week!

I’m working on a few posts at the moment, including 1 on introducing algebra in addition to 1 on introducing differentiation – if y'all cause got whatever swell ideas so delight electronic mail resourceaholic@gmail.com or tweet me.



Image sources: lightbulb tampawebdesigner.net; birds techwyse.com

No comments:

Post a Comment