Friday, May 22, 2020

Dividing Past Times Zero

I found this on Pinterest and now purpose it to assistance my pupils recollect the rules regarding segmentation as well as zero.  It seems to work!

I also similar to demo them a airheaded meme similar the i below to help the rule stick inwards their heads.  A search for 'divide past times zero' on Google Images brings upwards loads of these. I practise apologise to my pupils inwards advance for the bad language, which I intend makes it to a greater extent than memorable.


I was rattling pleased when one of my pupils late wrote this inwards a test. It's squeamish to run across that roughly of them pay attention!


Most calculators laissez passer on the message ‘Maths Error’ when a pose out is divided past times zero.  It’s crucial that pupils empathise why. For didactics ideas, I recommend this fantabulous weblog post 'Why can't you lot dissever past times zero?'.

We purpose this agreement when solving equations similar this:  x2 - 5x = 0. Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 mutual error is to divide past times x to give-up the ghost x - v = 0. This incorrectly gives solely i solution (x = 5). Knowing that nosotros shouldn't dissever past times x because x could travel null (unless we're told otherwise) allows us to empathise why the right method is to factorise ie x(x-5) = 0, giving the 2 solutions x = 0 as well as x = 5.

To stretch your students, effort this interesting activeness almost the value of 00, Evaluating a Special Exponential Expression from Illustrative Mathematics.

It's interesting that throughout history, many slap-up mathematicians (including Euler) possess got argued that segmentation past times null gives infinity. Most modern mathematicians accept it every bit undefined.  If you lot desire to practise roughly background reading on the ‘history’ of dividing past times zero, I recommend this article - it's an enjoyable read.



No comments:

Post a Comment