Friday, January 24, 2020

Warwick 2016

After schoolhouse on Fri I hopped on a prepare to Coventry to attend Edexcel's conference 'Excellence inward Mathematics: Into the Future' at the University of Warwick. It was a fantastic event, reminding me of the high lineament residential preparation courses I used to attend inward my previous career.
Shortly later arriving I attended a publishers exhibition at which I picked upwards a sample chapter from a novel Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 score textbook. The content is real like inward format to the existing Pearson Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 score books. The 'P1' hither refers to 1 of the novel linear exams (for Edexcel, Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 score Maths students volition accept iii exams at the cease of Year thirteen - P1 (Pure 1), P2 (Pure 2) as well as SM (Statistics as well as Mechanics)). 
Before dinner nosotros had an update on the novel Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 score specifications that are currently awaiting accreditation. Having followed developments closely I was familiar alongside most of this, but I was interested inward the Further Maths options outlined on the slide below. I dearest pure maths as well as therefore if I were a pupil choosing Further Maths options I'd become for FP3 as well as FP4, pregnant my Further Maths Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 score would accept no applied chemical component at all.
The presentation equally good outlined upcoming changes to Statistics GCSE. Looks pretty tough.
There was a bingo game during the Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 score update, won yesteryear Sharon of Longley Park. The prize was this awesome clock! I dearest it that (for example) Pi is but later iii as well as e is but earlier three.
Dinner was lovely. Bizarrely I met a maths instructor who lived inward Republic of Botswana inward the belatedly 80s, when I was at principal schoolhouse at that spot - I've never met anyone who has lived inward Republic of Botswana earlier as well as therefore this was rather exciting. 
TES Maths Team of the Year members Chris as well as Mel larn the cherry carpeting treatment!

After dinner the Exam Wizard made an appearance at the bar! All expert fun, as well as overnice to grab upwards alongside around Twitter friends.

The side yesteryear side forenoon nosotros were treated to Hannah Fry's keynote presentation, which was absolutely fantastic. I've been a big fan of Hannah Fry since I saw her speak at a Maths inward Action effect a few years ago. Hannah is a lecturer inward the Mathematics of Cities at the Centre for Advanced Spatial Analysis at my favourite academy - UCL (I'm a UCL alumna!). I actually enjoyed her recent TV series City inward the Sky. She is a highly engaging speaker as well as I encourage you lot to run into her if you lot larn the chance.
After Hannah's keynote I spent the twenty-four hours delivering my 'Wonderful World of Maths Resources' workshop.

Here are the materials for this workshop:



Near the starting fourth dimension of my workshop I asked delegates to write downwards the resources websites they frequently role - here's what they came upwards with! Aren't nosotros lucky to accept as well as therefore many fantastic resources providers?

On the agency habitation I enjoyed reading Hannah Fry's book, The Mathematics of Love. All delegates received a re-create inward their goody bag. It's a real funny book.
I had a fantastic fourth dimension at Warwick 2016. Thanks to Mel (@Just_Maths) as well as the maths squad at Edexcel for getting me involved. What a cracking event.

I'll larn out you lot alongside 2 things mentioned inward Hannah Fry's beak when she was speaking nigh modelling traffic shockwaves as well as pedestrian dynamics. First, craziness at Meskel Square, which looks terrifying but somehow seems to locomote out ok...



Second, the spinning block of doom! This is hilarious.










No comments:

Post a Comment