Friday, January 24, 2020

Scheme Of Function Development

In March the Independent Teacher Workload Review Group recommended that "a fully resourced, collaboratively produced scheme-of-work should last set inwards house for all teachers for the firstly of each term". This is meant to trim back workload, though of course of report nosotros all know that creating together with maintaining a decent scheme of function is an enormous task.

Anyone who has worked at to a greater extent than than ane schoolhouse knows that schemes of function vary hugely inwards format together with content. Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 adept scheme of work, when followed past times all teachers, ensures consistent theme coverage across didactics groups. I'm non maxim that teachers shouldn't last allowed to learn off on a tangent, merely it's helpful for an incoming Year xi instructor to elevate to a GCSE scheme of function to consider what topics their students studied inwards Year 10. And if didactics groups alter year-on-year together with hence it makes life easier if all students studied the same topics inwards Year 10.

I'm working on my school's GCSE scheme of function at the minute together with I thought it mightiness last useful to part my thoughts together with experiences.

My previous school's GCSE scheme of function was created inwards Word, together with looked similar this:
It wasn't perfect, merely it worked good together with had been inwards house for a set out of years. The sequence of topics was sensible, the timings worked together with the format was fairly user-friendly. Importantly, teachers could rapidly access useful resources, saving them fourth dimension inwards lesson planning.

I moved schoolhouse terminal June together with flora that my novel schoolhouse used a timeline which was created inwards Excel. Having picked upward some ideas from Twitter (mainly @missradders - give thank you lot you!) I fix nearly turning their timeline into a fully resourced PowerPoint-based scheme of work.

The PowerPoint I've created opens amongst a timeline showing the guild of teaching, equally shown below. Each theme is hyperlinked to a slide which contains to a greater extent than details nearly precisely what to teach.

At 7 lessons a fortnight we've been fairly tight on fourth dimension this twelvemonth merely this resources allotment is increasing adjacent year. I promise to complete didactics novel topics to Year xi past times Easter merely I've cautiously indicated on the scheme of function that nosotros may encounter the summertime term, leaving really piddling fourth dimension for revision.

Clicking on a theme leads to a slide that sets out the specification (using extracts from AQA's Teaching Guidance) together with provides links to resources. Here's an example:

I've edited this format slightly for the Year xi pages I've been working on lately, increasing clarity for Foundation teachers.

I detect these pages really useful when I'm planning lessons - I tin consider precisely what I'm meant to instruct together with what resources are available for each topic. I remember it's working well.

So what's adjacent for my scheme of work? Well the guild of topics didn't function brilliantly this twelvemonth hence nosotros demand a reshuffle for our adjacent cohort of Year 10s. For example, linear graphs was taught prior to solving equations together with rearranging formulae, which doesn't brand sense. In full general the guild seemed a combat haphazard, hence I'll function on grouping together with ordering topics inwards an crusade to arrive menses better.

I'd dear to consider your GCSE scheme of function if you're willing to part it. I know that Craig Barton has lately launched a novel GCSE scheme of function here - given the character of Craig's work, I'm certain this volition last worth exploring.





No comments:

Post a Comment