Friday, January 24, 2020

5 Maths Gems #59

Welcome to my 59th update from the globe of Maths EduTwitter. Here I summarise some of the latest ideas in addition to resources for instruction maths.

First I desire to tell give thank y'all you! Today I reached a milestone - resourceaholic.com has had over i 1000000 views since my offset blog post, which I wrote when I was heavily meaning dorsum inward Apr 2014. Since in addition to hence I've been busy, publishing guide to resourceaholic.com helpful. Thank y'all to all my readers in addition to contributors, in addition to to those who regularly purpose in addition to recommend my resources libraries. I genuinely appreciate the support.
On amongst the gems...

1. Increasingly Difficult Questions
I similar @taylorda01's novel laid of 'increasingly hard questions'. In lessons I oft inquire my students to endeavour some practise questions from the board hence I tin cheque their understanding, earlier moving on to a lengthier task. This growing banking concern of questions volition last useful.
2. Arithmetic Vocabulary 
I dear these graphics shared by @mathemaniac. They powerfulness brand expert displays for a maths classroom.
3. More Displays
I also similar these Command Word Posters from Christine Norledge (@MissNorledge). She offset published these concluding twelvemonth simply somehow I missed them at the time.
This lovely Join #TeamMaths in which I talked well-nigh my latest Twitter project
  • Warwick 2016 in which I reviewed Edexcel's Warwick conference in addition to shared materials from my workshop 'The Wonderful World of Maths Resources'
  • Scheme of Work Development in which I shared some thoughts in addition to experiences of GCSE Schemes of Work

  • I also presented a workshop called 'Perfect Polynomials' at the FMSP's London KS5 Network Day concluding Fri - y'all tin download the materials here.

    I was interested to run into that Boolean Maths Hub is running a 2 day summer school for roughly 75 students to tending span the gap betwixt GCSE in addition to Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 level. If this goes good I wonder if to a greater extent than hubs volition follow their Pb adjacent summer. I'm also impressed past times the run done past times the White Rose Maths Hub lately in developing schemes of run in addition to resources - including lots of back upwards for principal teachers. 

    Did y'all run into that MEI has released a sequel to their awesome Sumaze App?  Check out Sumaze! 2.

    If you're looking for resources for halt of term lessons (when y'all solely cause got a one-half a cast or one-half a lesson hence can't learn novel topics), cheque out my postal service End of Term Resources. Also, don't forget Chris Smith's Summer Holiday Relay Race

    Open Evening
    I wrote a postal service well-nigh ideas for Open Evening a distich of years ago. Some of y'all won't cause got Open Evening until September simply nosotros had ours concluding week, hence here's a quick update on some novel things nosotros tried this year...

    In i classroom nosotros played Memory Maths from flashmaths.co.uk. This game has been roughly for years simply I've non used it before. It was genuinely fun! We gathered together groups of competitors (visiting children, their parents, Year seven in addition to Year 12 tour guides, passing teachers...), in addition to gave them each a mini-whiteboard. Questions flashed upwards on the board in addition to players had to write downward the answers if in addition to when they could. It worked good - I dear activities that engage every historic menstruum group.

    In some other room nosotros had a tabular array gear upwards amongst lots of Numeracy Ninjas sheets. Visiting children in addition to our pupil tour guides sat downward in addition to completed equally much equally they could, in addition to when their fourth dimension was upwards nosotros marked what they'd done in addition to gave them a corresponding ninja sticker. We've been using Numeracy Ninjas at Key Stage iii for the concluding few months in addition to it's been going genuinely good hence it was expert to give prospective students a gustation of something they volition genuinely create inward maths lessons. Us teachers all had a become besides in addition to enjoyed wearing our stickers subsequently (we're a competitive department!).

    That's it from me. I'll move out y'all amongst a lovely inquiry from AQA that genuinely stumped my Year 10s. It's a double bounds question, inward reverse, amongst discrete data. It takes some thinking!








    No comments:

    Post a Comment