Tuesday, February 6, 2001

5 Maths Gems #98

Welcome to my 98th gems post. This is where I percentage about of the latest news, ideas together with resources for maths teachers.

1. Area Activity
Thanks to @MrNiksMathClass for sharing a prissy activity inwards which students apply their cognition of expanse formulae.


2. Triangle Puzzles
John Rowe (area mazes. They tin all live solved without using fractions or decimals.
3. Standard Form
Thank yous to Gillian Mathewson (@gmathewson1) for sharing a standard shape variation grid. I similar the agency students convert to expanded shape earlier converting to measure shape - it's a expert banking enterprise jibe that they actually sympathise what's going on. I've added this to my number resources library.
4. Multiplying Fractions
Mary-Kate Connolly (@MKConnolly1991) shared a pic of her board which shows how she explains fraction multiplication. Note the role of colour to back upward the explanation.
Here's the same approach explained inwards 'Polish Up Your Mathematics’ past times Fawdry which was published inwards 1945.
5. Mock Season
If yous bring Year eleven mocks coming upward (I'm marker them at the moment!) together with hence don't forget that I published a mock revision weblog post last year. My GCSE 9- 1 revision post might likewise live helpful - it contains a long listing of first-class GCSE revision resources.

New to my revision page is a unit conversions quiz - this goes amongst the formula quiz I made a duad of years ago.

If yous desire to impress personalised booklets for your Year 11s based on their private functioning inwards mock exams together with hence you'll live pleased to listen that PinPoint Learning has a gratuitous lawsuit until 29th Jan 2019. The June 2018 QLAs are available hence if yous used these papers for your mocks together with hence PinPoint is all ready to go.
Updates
In instance yous missed it, my latest post was on map scale. I wrote close approaches together with resources for this undertaught together with underesourced GCSE topic.

I likewise wrote 'Turing for the Fifty' which tells the story of the fourth dimension I worked inwards banknotes at the Bank of England, together with why I am peculiarly excited that there's an chance to nominate a mathematician for the novel 50 pound note.

I've laid upward a novel Instagram account to percentage maths teaching ideas together with inspiration hence produce follow me if you're an Instagram user. I volition nonetheless live sharing updates on Twitter together with Facebook every bit usual. And if yous desire to acquire my weblog posts past times e-mail together with hence yous tin subscribe here.

I'm rattling excited to live approaching a milestone - I promise to expose my 100th gems post inwards December, together with volition celebrate past times recording a special maths gems podcast with Craig Barton.

My resource libraries bring been rattling busy lately - I'm glad teachers abide by them useful when planning lessons. My Topics inwards Depth page has likewise had a lot of visits every bit a large issue of master copy teachers bring discovered that I bring a actually useful laid of master copy packs there. I bring been updating my conferences page with novel events together with my pret homework site with novel contributions.

If you're based inwards London, don't forget to bring together to 1 of my Maths Hub workgroups. We already bring a large issue of H5N1 grade teachers signed upward up for the A grade workgroup which is actually exciting. In the GCSE workgroup nosotros volition live working on ratio together with unit of measurement conversions. I bring done lots of inquiry into these topics lately hence I am excited to percentage what I've found.

Next weekend I'm going to the Maths Jam annual gathering with friends - I can't wait! What a keen agency to pass a weekend.

I'll exit yous with this fun fractions activity that I establish inwards ‘Fundamental Arithmetic’ past times P B Ballard which was published belatedly 1920s.




No comments:

Post a Comment