Saturday, February 3, 2001

2018 Highlights

Last weekend I recorded a podcast amongst Craig Barton to celebrate my 100th gems post. I dear the way @boss_maths described it: "So informative as well as entertaining, listening to this felt uncannily similar listening to TMS every bit a cricket fan"! You tin hand notice brain here and run across what you lot think. The conversations nosotros had inwards the podcast made me realise how much happens inwards a year. In this post service I await dorsum at 2018 as well as listing around of my personal highlights, as well as await ahead to what's coming upwards inwards 2019.

The start of 2018 saw the publication of Craig's majority How I Wish I'd Taught Maths. I can't believe that was only a yr ago! Having read the majority inwards advance I knew it was going to last a huge success, but I couldn't receive got predicted how much touching on it would receive got on the maths pedagogy community. It's non simply the teachers of Twitter who receive got told me how much their teaching has changed since reading Craig's book. I learn into lots of unlike types of schools as well as run across both novel as well as experienced teachers trying example-problem pairs, still instructor as well as other techniques that I belike wouldn't receive got seen at all inwards 2017. These teachers are keen to tell me how much Craig's majority has made them to a greater extent than reflective, as well as how entire departments are at in 1 trial taking to a greater extent than involvement inwards enquiry as well as seeking to improve their practice.

Thankfully, opportunities for maths teachers to accept command of their ain professional person evolution receive got continued to grow. We however alive inwards times where almost schools are unable to back upwards requests for term-time bailiwick specific CPD, but increasingly nosotros are able to attend CPD at the weekends if nosotros conduct to. Of course of instruction weekend CPD is non suitable for everyone, thence thankfully it remains solely optional. I adore beingness job of the community of hundreds of maths teachers who participate inwards these events as well as am really grateful to the organisers for regularly bringing us all together.

In 2018 I attended 3 of La Salle's national maths conferences as well as loved every minute. If you're a maths instructor as well as you lot desire to effort around Sabbatum CPD for the get-go time, create banking concern stand upwards for out the 2019 events (visit mathsconf.com for details). The adjacent 1 takes house inwards Bristol on Sabbatum ninth March.

At the Manchester conference I presented on indices, as well as at the Birmingham conference I presented on quadratics.
If you lot missed these presentations thence you  powerfulness last able to conduct grip of me presenting them in 1 trial to a greater extent than adjacent year. I'm presenting Indices inwards Depth at the ATM/MA London Branch number on 19th Jan as well as How to Solve an Adfected Quadratic at the #HabsGirlsConf on 23rd March.

I volition also last presenting novel fabric at a number of events inwards 2019, including Educating Northants on 30th March, the ATM/MA conference at Easter, as well as both ResearchED Rugby as well as the MEI conference inwards June. There are loads to a greater extent than maths pedagogy events happening inwards 2019 - banking concern stand upwards for out my conference listings here.

In improver to the La Salle conferences, I was fortunate to attend a number of fantabulous events inwards 2018. It was an observe to deliver the keynote presentation at the BBO Maths Hub secondary conference, as well as I thoroughly enjoyed the 2nd JustMaths conference which took house at Alton Towers inwards the middle of the summertime rut wave.
David Faram, me as well as Craig Barton on the rapids

I also attended my get-go e'er residential maths pedagogy conference at Easter. BCME (the British Congress of Mathematics Education) only takes house every iv years thence it was quite a big deal. I loved it - non only for the CPD, but also for the social programme (did I advert that nosotros won the quiz?!). I also really much enjoyed recording a daily conference podcast amongst Craig inwards which nosotros reflected on the sessions we'd attended that day. I can't hold back for the upcoming ATM/MA conference which takes house inwards the Easter holidays - there's a ceilidh, a quiz as well as a disco! And the daily podcast volition last back. 

2018 was the yr that I became a fleck braver. I oft plow downwards exciting opportunities, unremarkably because of job solid unit of measurement commitments but sometimes because I intend I won't create a skillful job. After turning downwards the chance to look inwards an advertising drive for Mazda at Easter, I kicked myself for weeks as well as resolved that I should halt proverb no to things. So when I was invited to accept job inwards the ratio, bounds, surds, algebraic LCM as well as HCF, as well as Year seven maths activities. Check out my blog archive to run across the whole collection.

Every yr I host a social number for maths teachers. This yr it was LateMaths - a big political party inwards London to celebrate the launch of More Geometry Snacks past times Ed Southall as well as Vincent Pantaloni. It was a slap-up black as well as I am really grateful to everyone who helped me learn far a success.

I receive got lots of ideas for events I'd similar to run inwards future. In July I'm hoping that Rob Smith as well as I volition run an number which (fingers crossed!) volition involve a trip to the amazing MA archive at the University of Leicester. I'd also dear to run a ii twenty-four hours residential maths pedagogy conference at the same venue every bit the MathsJam Annual Gathering. It's a shame I don't receive got the fourth dimension as well as coin to run events to a greater extent than oft because I actually taste it.

What volition 2019 bring? If you lot haven't already read Craig's book, possibly hand it a go. If you've never been to a La Salle maths conference, maybe 2019 is the fourth dimension to effort one. If you've non done 1 of the big Easter conferences, this powerfulness last the yr to come upwards along. If you've never listened to a podcast, receive got a learn as well as run across if you lot similar it. If you're non on Twitter, consider joining. We're a really welcoming maths community, as well as we're stronger together.

We alive inwards exciting but incredibly challenging times for maths teachers. I can't hold back to run across what 2019 brings.

I'll exit you lot amongst around of my favourite photos from 2018.

With my former PGCE buddy Colin Hegarty
 at GLF's get-go annual maths conference

With ex-colleagues Lizzie, Amelia as well as Sarah at prom 

Recording a conference podcast amongst Craig

At MathsJam amongst friends Mariana, Ed, Tim as well as Joe

Summer drinks at Dr Frost's house. 


With Megan Guinan at a Chalkdust Magazine Launch Party

Celebrating 3 novel books as well as 1 novel chore amongst my Twitter besties
Craig, Ed as well as Tom at #mathsconf14 inwards Kettering

On the MA bookstand amongst Rob Smith
 at #mathsconf15 inwards Manchester

At BCME amongst Ed, Craig as well as Hannah Fry

At LateMaths amongst Matt Parker as well as Ben Sparks


Have a wonderful Christmas as well as New Year's Day everyone!







No comments:

Post a Comment