Friday, January 24, 2020

Going Well...

I'm struggling amongst workload at the minute but I'm taking a quick intermission from the marker together with UCAS references to portion 3 things that are going actually good this year.

1. Low Stakes Quizzes 
I started doing regular multiple selection quizzes amongst my Year 10s final twelvemonth together with right away loved it (I wrote almost it here). I've never done anything earlier that's given me so much insight into my students' agreement together with the effectiveness of my teaching. My Year 10s ended upward beingness taken yesteryear a PGCE pupil for a pregnant role of the twelvemonth so the quizzes stopped, but I possess got reintroduced them this twelvemonth amongst the same cast (now Year 11) together with ane time to a greater extent than I'm reminded of how awesome these quizzes are.

My weekly quizzes possess got twenty minutes to run inwards the lesson (we create it every Friday), summation almost twenty minutes to score later the lesson. The quizzes don't possess got long to brand when I'm planning my lessons - lately I've only been using the snipping tool to possess got questions from Diagnostic Questions (shhh, don't tell Craig!). You tin persuasion my quizzes here.

I plow over each pupil a flat (A, B or Not Yet) together with anyone who scores 100% gets a sticker (they dear that!). The quizzes are opened upward mass so there's no stress for students - inwards fact they dear them (I learn a cheer when I tell it's fourth dimension for the quiz!) together with they are ever excited to encounter their score inwards the side yesteryear side lesson. For me 'it's similar I'm looking at the freaking Matrix' (in the words of Nathan Kraft inwards this post almost vertical whiteboards!). Seriously, this is ane of the best things I've ever done.

2. Folders
My Year 11s at nowadays work band binders instead of practise books. It's brilliant. I bespeak to write a dissever ship service almost how this plant because there's lots to say. Loads of people told me it wouldn't work, mainly because the folders would chop-chop buy the farm disorganised (which may still happen - we're exclusively 3 weeks in), but I've designed a proficient laid of resources that minimise the direct chances of messy folders. I'm pretty confident that it volition proceed to run well. Watch out for a ship service almost this!

3. Times Table Rock Stars
I'm non certain I'm allowed to seat photos of my students on my blog, but if I could together with then you'd encounter the happy faces of my Year 7s absolutely loving Times Tables Rock Stars (whilst wearing wigs together with sunglasses!). All Year seven teachers at Glyn at nowadays possess got ane lesson inwards an information technology Room every fortnight to run a Times Tables Rock Stars lesson. I create the newspaper version amongst my cast too, summation I've only launched an later schoolhouse 'Rock Gods' monastic tell for groovy Year 7s. H5N1 publish of teachers possess got also laid other classes (Year 8 to Year 10) together with it seems to last going good all round. My students happily sit down at that spot for a amount hr enthusiastically practising times tables, together with I learn to hear to stone music so it's win-win...!

So that's 3 things are going peculiarly good for me this year. Are you lot trying anything novel that seems to last working? Please tweet me or comment below.






No comments:

Post a Comment